Friday, September 2, 2016

Chronicle 31: Centric Grows Detroit's Young Talent

Vincent Bennett was a summer intern at Centric Design Studio through the City of Detroit's Grow Detroit’s Young Talent Program. Vincent just completed his Senior year at L’Anse Creuse High School where he was enrolled as a dual high school and college student focused on studying architecture. This fall, Vincent began his studies at Macomb Community College with architecture as his major and business as a minor. His goal is to own an architecture firm or related business.

CDS Intern Vincent Bennett
Around age six, Vincent became interested in architecture and design. He would draw everything he imagined and everything that he saw, “whether it was Spongebob, flip flops, a house, anything I would draw it,” said Vincent. He told his parents that he wanted to bring everything he drew to life as a creatively-designed house. His parents told him an architect builds and design houses. From then on, he planned to become an architect.

Vincent has experience in the built environment professions. He worked in industrial construction for about two months. Also, his school connected him with a job at Three Rivers Corp. Commercial Construction where he worked for two years. He has worked in residential construction since I was 12 years old with a family business. Vincent had never worked for an architecture firm before, but he prepared for his first design job by taking classes in drafting and blueprint reading.

At Centric Design Studio, Vincent had the opportunity to be involved in a variety of projects: a new headquarters for Walker-Miller Energy Services, and a childcare center that will be located in a former  AAA office building.

We asked Vincent a few more questions about his summer at Centric Design Studio. Here’s what he had to say:

REVIT model by Vincent Bennett
CDS: What did you learn about architecture that you didn't know before?

Vincent: I’ve learned about AutoCAD and Revit, which are drafting computerized programs. I also learned about how architects meet with other architects and engineers. 

CDS: Which did you like better, working in the office or going out to projects to field measure?

Continuing education certificate
Vincent: I would say (I like) field measuring more. But, working in the office I got a chance to work on Revit and AutoCAD which I love so, so, so much.

CDS: What was your favorite part of your summer internship with Centric Design Studio?

Vincent: All of it. I love Centric Design Studio like it’s my own. The people that own it and work there are so friendly and hardworking. They helped me when I needed it and checked on me every single chance they got. All of them made sure I was okay and understanding the work that was being brought to me.

Read details of Vincent's busy first day at CDS in his presentation:


No comments:

Post a Comment